There are 08 days left this season.   Potential yearly prize pool: £3,226,600
 Announcements | News | Pub Blog | Forum | Bluff magazine 
 Mem. No.  Password  Save  Forgot your password? 
 Joining the league | How to play poker | Find a member | Player photos | Head to Head | Medals info 
 Information for venues | Search for a venue | Venue map | Submit a new venue 
 Leaderboards info | National | Venue | Online | Archives 
 Finals info | Quarterly Qualifiers | National Qualifiers | Past Finals | Prizes 
 About us | F.A.Qs | Dates | William Hill Online | Partners | Legality | Contact us |


See previous entry "Quarterly Final qualifiers "See next entry "Quarterly Final Qualifiers"

January Quarter Final Summary

Champions Poker League, the UK's #1 Pub Poker League
Write up’s for Jan 2016 Quarter Finals

A brief summary of the days play held at each quarterly final venue can be found below. Photos and finishing positions can be found on our finals page or by clicking here.

Play started at Bristol with 39 players. It was great to see more new players as well as the ‘regulars’.

All 39 made it to the first break. However shortly after restarting, the first person out was one of our regulars Dave Jackson from the Queens Head. David had never been first out before and let’s hope it won’t happen to him again.

Well done to all the final table players, their finishing positions were as follows:

9th – Adonis Tingzon from the Queens Head in Hampshire
8th – Chris Fellows from the De Traceys Bar in Devon
7th – Amanda Fey from the Crown and Horseshoe in Gloucestershire
6th – Keith Manser from the Market House Inn in Devon
5th – David Gauntlett from the Oakfield Hotel in Cwmbran
4th – Andy Robarts from the Market House Inn in Devon
3rd – Darren Bull from the Crown and Horseshoe in Gloucestershire
2nd – Steve Davies from the Oakfield Hotel in Cwmbran
1st – Chris Honey from the De Traceys Bar in Devon
Congratulations to Chris for winning.

The top 4 qualified but as one of the places was handed down, this meant that David managed to qualify for the National Final next September 2016. Top 5 x shared the cash prizes of £1,145 with Chris taking home the crystal trophy.
Look forward to seeing you all again next quarter final.

Play started at Luton G Casino at 14.03 with 59 taking part. We had to wait till 14.50 before we lost our first player Louise Ashby from Shoot Pool in Aylesbury. A long way off but the next goal to make the last 10 and move onto the show table and be dealer dealt. By 18.45 we reached the final table with all the players going onto the national final plus 11th & 12th due to 5 people already going through. At 20.00 we were down to 6 all now in the money. Top lady of the day was Vanessa Winterburn coming 4th. Heads up was between Alf Hitchcock & Pete Keenan and 21.30 we had our showdown hand, Pete had 9, 3 and Alf Queen, 2. The flop 8, king, 8, the turn a 5 and river a Jack, Alf winning the tournament with King, Queen high.

After welcoming all 46 players to the day’s event play got under way on time. The style of play for the whole day showed right from the start, it was going to be a “tight” and very solid game all round, with only one player going out up to the break.
After the break play was again very “tight” but respectful with most players respecting the betting. We got to the final table at 7.30pm with Simon Odom going out first. The next break came when two low staked players went all in against Bob Bates, only for Bob to then take them out.
The bubble fell on Dave Smith who although coming to the final table well stacked, could not find any good cards, leaving the last six players going forward to the National Finals.
“Heads Up” came at 9.15pm with Phil Gumby, who had already qualified and Bob Bates, unfortunately Phil quickly fell to Bob who won with Ace/Jack and thereby taking the trophy.
All the players personally wanted me to thank CPL for the excellent Venue. And especially there thanks to John our Card room manager for the smooth running of the tournament and to his Catering team for an excellent Lunch.

30 people sat down to play in the second qualifier of the current season and once again, amongst the players was the current National Champion, Vanessa Farley.

With all players making the first break, Andrew Revell was then the first out. Shortly after 2pm however the unlucky Roy Garner finished 29th when first his rockets lost to 10 6, shortly followed by his AK losing to KQ, with the board as followed K7QQ3.

Players then continued going out and when (already a national qualifier) James Neve’s AQ hand lost, we had our final table. Martin Knowles was the first to go finishing 8th and when Scotty (too hotty) Head and Sherry (Heads in the) Cloudsley busted out we had our money 5. Ian Badham and Amanda Hewitt soon followed and we had our 3 national qualifiers. Paul Martin finishing 3rd when his hand lost to 10 K. The very next hand saw Kev (Rivering) Powley beat John Brei-Crawley to take the crown.

The words shuffle up and deal went out at 2pm with 68 players registered for the day's play and we lost our first player at the break and the unlucky player to receive a big applause from everyone else was DAYBE JOHNSON.

Slowly but surely we started to lose players until we reached the final table at 8pm and with 7 places up for grabs at final in September 2016 and 6 places also being paid out.

The unfortunate player who busted out on the bubble for the final was RON FARRINGTON and now the rest of the players now knowing that their places were safe. We got to heads up between PHIL PINDER and MELANIE BEARD at 9:30 pm and after ten minutes both players announced the famous words all in and with PHIL showing 6d,6s and MELANIE showing Jd,10s the race was on the flop came down 6h,5h,Jc PHIL had trips up against MELANIES pair of jacks, leaving MELANIE chasing cards, the turn card was Qc, and the river card came down 3c and with PHILS trip 6s bringing an end to the day's play.
TOP lady of the day was MELANIE BEARD

Well done PHIL and well done to the rest of the players who managed to qualify for the final next year. Lastly a big thanks to the rest of the players who also turned up. Hope to see you at the next quarter final.

It was good to have the Quarterly Final back in Manchester at the Genting Casino Salford, where the card room manager Glenn Ashworth made us all very welcome. In fact the casino looked after our needs all day with drinks and superb food at the intervals.
Steve Barton was the first to go on the final table of 10 closely followed by Andy Leyland. Although only six were down to be paid the, remaining eight players cut a deal so that they were all in the money, with eight and seven each getting £60. Next through the exit door were Myra Gaffin, Ste Farren and Peter Pierce, leaving five players standing. A very cagey period followed until Jane Gormley (5th) and Sarah Croisdale (4th) ran out of chips and left the table. Immediately the three remaining players decided to split the cash and play on for the points and the trophy. Ian Trafford was next to fall, leaving Arthur Gray and Peter Foster heads up. With the blinds up in the thousands, it didn’t take long for the showdown and Pete Foster from the Rose n Bowl took the honours, despite a valiant effort by Arthur Gray from the Ley Inn.
It was a very enjoyable day played in excellent spirit by all the players and a tremendous advert for the Champions Poker League. The next quarterly will be in Huddersfield when we look forward to another war of the roses!!!

57 players braved Storm Gertrude to claim their seat at the second Scottish CPL quarterly final of 2015-2016 at the G casino in Dundee. Andy Edwards from Perth Poker Club was the first casualty receiving the usual cheer and round of applause, however, with some steady play throughout the first hour and a half most of the players made it to the break.

During the break the players had the usual discussions about bad beats, chip stacks and strategies whilst tucking into warming bangers and mash before returning to the tables suitably satiated and ready for action. Best hand of the day was won by Stuart McMillan from The Abbotsford, Perth who hit quad Kings usurping his fellow Abbey player Robert Hendersons’ quad Jacks, but nevertheless neither player made it to the final table of ten. Of the players who did reach the final table none had secured a 2016 National seat so were all battling it out for the six on offer and the six cash prizes.

Richard Blyth from The Aboukir Hotel, Carnoustie was the first to go followed by Ross MacGregor from The Waverley Hotel, Callander who had a sense of deja vu going out in 9th place, exactly the same position he achieved at the last quarterly. Alan MacLean from The Perth Poker Club was next to leave in 8th and the dubious honour of ‘bubble boy’ went to Steven Duncan, The Eastend Bar, Brechin whose departure in 7th left all the remaining players in the money and making travel plans for Sheffield in September.

6th David D’Ambrosio, The Aboukir Hotel, Carnoustie
5th Martin Slivka, The Ball Room, Perth
4th Mike Thomson, The Almondbank Inn, Perth
3rd Chris Eadie, The Almondbank Inn, Perth

The two remaining players were well acquainted with each other’s game as both were from The Waverley Hotel in Callander: Ben McAlpine making it to his 2nd final table whereas this was the first time for Robert Turnbull. They agreed a split of the remaining prize pool and settling into their heads up game the chip stacks were fairly evenly matched. The seminal hand occurred when Robert pushed with pocket 10s and Ben called with pocket 4s. Three 3’s out on the board gave both players a full house, but with no 4 to be seen Bens chip stack was severely crippled and it wasn’t long before he was into ‘any Ace, any face’ territory. The final hand saw Ben push with Kc 3d to be called by Jd 10h. 4d 5s 10c gave Robert top pair, Ah on the turn changed nothing but Jc on the river sealed the deal giving Robert two pair and the title of Season 2 2015-2016 Scottish champ.

Many congrats to all the players who secured National seats and thanks to all the players who participated and made this another great day. Yet again you all remembered to sign out (even if it did take a bit of gentle reminding for some of you), so thanks for that and thanks to John, Ant and the team at the G casino Dundee for their continued support and professionalism.

Play started at 2pm with 39 runners. After only 19 mins play we had our first exit, Stephen Astley. When the third level came to an end we broke for the buffet.

By 6.15 we were down to final dealer dealt table of 10. A deal was done by the last 6 to all cash rather than the top 5. Soon there were 5 all now going to Sheffield in September. Top lady on the day was Jayne Neman, finishing in 5th place.

Heads up this time was Michael Deaton & Terry Baker. At 8-30pm we had our showdown hand Michael Ace 8 and Terry Ace Jack, the flop 3, 7, 9, the turn Jack & river a 2. Terry wining the event with a pair of Jacks.


No comments

You are not currently logged in. You must be logged in to post comments.

Terms and Conditions - Privacy Statement - Contact Us - About the League
Click here to make us your homepage or click here to bookmark us!
Gamcare - Gamblers Anonymous
The Champions Poker League is a division of ANPL LTD